Chocolate Therapy: What’s your Rx?
OMG, do I have a treat for you today: customizable homemade chocolates that are not only DELICIOUS and easy, they’re also good for you! Think of it as CHOCOLATE THERAPY, and the fun part is that it’s a customizable recipe. You can choose your “chocolate Rx” by adding a few drops of a therapeutic, food-grade essential oil (your flavor/scent of choice) to the dairy-free, paleo-friendly chocolate base.
I’ve listed some “chocolate Rx” options and their therapeutic benefits according to an intriguing new book I purchased titled “Emotions and Essential Oils.” Always take your own flavor preferences and sensitivities into consideration when choosing your add-in, and know that I am not — by any means — providing medical advice with this recipe! Really, it’s just for pure pleasure.
As far as which brands of essential oils are safe to be ingested, you’ll have to look at labels and/or do some research online. I happen to recommend doTerra… In fact, I recommend them so heartily, that I am a brand new doTerra Wellness Advocate! You can purchase any of the oils I mention below (which are SAFE when taken internally, when using doTerra brand) at my doTerra site, and if you want to schedule a free 30-minute Skype to learn more about essential oils in general, sign up here. I’m happy to share ALL of the new information I’m learning, and I’m excited to bring an even more holistic perspective to my (already-holistic) approach to wellness. Essential oils bridge mind, body, and spirit and are one of the keys to “Shining Brighter” in my motto’s trifecta: Eat Clean, Move Every Day, Shine Brighter!
But back to chocolate therapy. Who DOESN’T need a little “fix” every once in a while? Or every day? Or maybe twice a day? 😉
I made these little beauties in a silicone candy mold I got for a few bucks at a local grocery store; such a great investment. Go out and get yourself some candy molds, gather up the ingredients, and whip up a batch of chocolate therapy with YOUR personal chocolate Rx “therapeutic add-ins.” Heck, even if the add-ins don’t actually solve all of your problems, at least they taste amazing…
Chocolate Therapy (Dairy-Free, Vegan, Paleo-Friendly)
Chocolate base inspired by this recipe from HBD Nutrition:
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil (I recommend Tropical Traditions)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 1.5 Tbsp smooth almond butter (try my blanched almond butter recipe)
- 1.5 Tbsp cocoa butter (tends to be very hard; break into small pieces or use cocoa butter wafers)
- pinch sea salt
- 3-4 drops of essential oil of choice (see below to determine your “Chocolate Rx”)
- Combine coconut oil and cocoa butter (broken into pieces) in microwave safe dish. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds. Stir until mixture is completely smooth and all lumps of cocoa butter have fully melted. If you prefer not to use a microwave, you can also heat in a small saucepan over VERY low heat on the stove.
- Add remaining ingredients (unsweetened cocoa powder, syrup, almond butter, and sea salt) and gently whisk to combine. Continue whisking until mixture is COMPLETELY smooth (microwave for an additional 15-20 seconds if necessary to melt any lingering lumps of cocoa butter).
- Add 3-4 drops of your essential oil PER BATCH of chocolate base.* Stir to combine.
- Spoon or carefully pour into silicone candy molds. Use a funnel if you want to avoid excess spillage.
- Place filled candy molds in fridge and chill until hard (approx 1 hour). Remove from molds. Store, tightly sealed, in fridge or freezer.
*NOTE: I divided my chocolate base in half, pouring each half into a small bowl with a pour-spout. I used 2 drops of wild orange in one half of the batch (the flowers), and 2 drops of ginger in the other half of the batch (the hearts).
What’s your Chocolate Rx?
Therapeutic add-ins (choose ONE of the following therapeutic, food-grade essential oils. Add 3-4 drops to the base recipe):**
- Ginger: the oil of empowerment
- Cinnamon: the oil of sexual harmony
- Peppermint: the oil of a buoyant heart
- Cardamom: the oil of objectivity, mental stability, and self-control
- Wild Orange: the oil of prosperity and abundance… Also, uplifting (and DELICIOUS in this recipe)!
- Lavender: the oil of communication and emotional honesty
- Lemon: the oil of focus
**NOTE: All of the above oils, when purchased from doTerra and used as directed, are safe to be be taken internally. You can peruse my doTerra website at this link (just go to “shop” and then “essential oils” and then “single oils,” and remember — if you want to schedule a free 30-minute Skype to learn more about essential oils and how they work, sign up here.
This post is part of Urban Naturale’s Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. Click to see all the great contributions here!