If you’ve watched my recent YouTube videos, you’ll hear that I have dubbed FemFusion as “the HOME of core + pelvic floor friendly fitness.” But what does that mean? Who is it for? Great questions… I’d like to explain.
First, let me back up and say that the pelvic floor is actually an integral part of the core, so separating these body regions with the words “core + pelvic floor friendly” is a bit of a misnomer. However, many people think of the core as just the abs. They don’t realize that the pelvic floor is actually the “floor” of the core! Thus, I separated the terms “core” and “pelvic floor” to be SUPER CLEAR that my videos work the whole core unit.
Not just the abs.
Not just the pelvic floor.
Not just the hips and glutes and back… My videos work all of it!
Now that you understand the anatomy, let me share my definition of core + pelvic floor friendly fitness.
Core + Pelvic Floor Friendly Fitness is:
- Low impact.
- Risky moves (such as abdominal crunches) are avoided, modified, or fully explained.
- Full, expansive breathing is emphasized in order to prevent a buildup of downward pressure on the abdominal and pelvic organs. I focus on exhaling with exertion, and you’ll repeatedly hear the following: “never, ever, ever hold your breath!”
- Periodic relaxation and release of the core muscles is instructed so as not to “over-do” your workout. Believe it or not, overdeveloped core muscles can actually contribute to conditions that are typically associated with weakness, such as diastasis recti and pelvic floor dysfunction! Hyper-tense core muscles can also create pain that can interfere with everyday life. Click here to read more about “hulk vagina,” and click here to watch a video about the connection between DR and PFD. not a “one and done” approach, it’s a lifestyle
- Lastly, it’s not a “one and done” approach… It’s a lifestyle. Hence my tagline, eat clean, move every day, shine brighter! My core + pelvic floor friendly fitness routines are simply TOOLS IN YOUR TOOLBOX to help you create a healthy, balanced, movement-filled life.
Even if my workouts don’t address a specific pelvic health “issue,” they all move and groove and bring vitality to the deep core muscles. This is essential for keeping the center of your body healthy and strong for LIFE, whether or not you have a problem “down there!”
I want to emphasize that my core + pelvic floor friendly fitness is appropriate for ANYONE, whether or not you have pelvic floor dysfunction. In fact, FemFusion videos are ideal for women who do not have any pelvic health issues whatsoever. A proactive approach to PREVENTION of pelvic floor issues is ideal, and if I could get my fitness programs into the hands of young women before they’ve had their first baby I would be stoked. Although FemFusion videos aren’t as “hardcore” as those that younger, fitter women may tend to gravitate to, I strongly believe that ALL fitness levels (even the fittest of the fit) can get a LOT out of slowing down, tuning in, and really understanding what they’re doing with their core when working out. In fact, I’ve personally found that the stronger I get, the MORE I can feel my deep core moves!
While all of my videos are core + pelvic floor friendly, some of the videos are more appropriate for certain individuals than others.
- If you have NO ISSUES with your core whatsoever, you can feel safe doing any of the videos on my channel. There are 300 of them (and counting) so you have a lot to choose from.
- If you have diastasis recti, stick with my 15 minute crunchless abs, 30 minute crunchless abs, or my Ab Camp series (also available in an ad-free downloadable version here).
- If you have pelvic pain (for example, vaginismus) or extreme tension, my Pelvic Pain/Tension playlist of videos will be best for you.
- If you have pelvic organ prolapse or incontinence, you’ll love my upcoming “Lift” series. The anticipated air date of this 5-video series is September 25th. Mark your calendar and be sure to SUBSCRIBE to my channel to be notified whenever new videos post!
Always check out my FemFusion playlists for customized recommendations that will work for YOUR specific needs. I update these playlists regularly, so pop in periodically to see what’s new.