I absolutely LOVE make-ahead salads. There’s nothing better than prepping a dish in the morning, sticking it in the fridge, and knowing that dinner is ready to go. Furthermore, it won’t wilt and the flavors will actually IMPROVE with time! A kitchen dream come true!
This curried succotash salad was inspired by the produce of SUMMER: sweet corn (use only non-GMO, organic corn if possible) and crispy green beans (use the smallest/thinnest ones possible… When they get too big they get tough!) But if the sweet corn of summer passed you by, don’t despair. The FAB thing about modern life is the convenience of frozen food. Frozen corn and green beans work just as well as fresh. Easy peasy!
Even if you don’t care for (or don’t tolerate) corn, beans, or any of the other ingredients in succotash, give the curried dressing a try. It’s got a nice tang from the ACV and a nice spicy earthiness from the curry powder.
Summertime Curried Succotash Salad (serves 4)
- 2 cups sweet corn (non-GMO, organic); you can use raw, blanched, or frozen
- 2 cups petite green beans; you can use raw, blanched, or frozen
- 1.5 cups cooked (or 1 can, drained and rinsed) butter beans such as these
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar with “the mother” such as Bragg’s
- 1 Tbsp honey or pure maple syrup
- 1.5 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (you can add more to taste later)
- optional: 1 small (or 1/2 large) clove fresh garlic, VERY finely minced
Place all salad ingredients in large mixing bowl.
Place all dressing ingredients in small jar with lid. SHAKE LIKE CRAZY until completely combined.
Pour dressing over salad ingredients. GENTLY mix with spatula (be careful; you don’t want to squash the butter beans).
Serve, or — better yet — refrigerate for up to 12 hours.
Want more healthy recipes?
Check out my friend Leanne’s Real Meals Weekly Meal Plans. I’m a proud affiliate because I think Leanne (of Healthful Pursuit) rocks. Her recipes are delicious, her meals are free from most common allergens, and she knows how to make things streamlined and attainable. Her weekly meal plans are affordable and a great resource for anyone who wants to eat clean but is totally overwhelmed by the reality of shopping and cooking meals every day… Yes, it can be stressful. Yes, it can be a lot. Real Meals Weekly Meal Plans takes out the guesswork and makes it easy!
Watch my interview with Leanne about meal planning in general (and get more details about Real Meals Weekly Meal Plans):