Confession time: I don’t travel well.
I love traveling and I’m blessed to live in a central location that allows me to visit amazing places within just a few hours’ drive, but every time we take a vacation, I inevitably come home constipated and feeling “yuk.” The combination of being out of my routine, sitting more than usual (since we usually travel by car), and eating restaurant food that’s not always “Bri-friendly” does a number on my digestion.
In each of the following photos I’m thrilled to be seeing new places and cultures… But my guts are NOT happy.
In the Provence region of France:
In Prague, Czech Republic:
In Boleslaweic, Poland:
Whenever I return from a vacation, I’m usually tired, sluggish, and stopped up (sorry if that’s TMI) and I’m *more than ready* for a light cleanse. The Weekend Reboot is a great way to get back on track, as is my “Morning Tonic.” I’ll make a batch and drink it every morning for 3-5 days. Works like a charm. By the time I’ve used up my cubes of tonic I’m feeling light, energetic, and vibrant once again.
Briefly, here’s why it’s so great:
Warm lemon water — in and of itself — helps stimulate digestion when taken on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning. It is also reported to improve immunity, balance your pH, help with weight control, and hydrate the lymph system.
The additional “boosts” in this recipe are the icing on the cake:
- ginger improves circulation and is a natural antispasmodic
- turmeric is a true “superfood” with anti-inflammatory properties
- cayenne is said to boost metabolism
- cinnamon is a natural blood sugar stabilizer
- raw honey contains live enzymes and has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties
How to make morning tonic to eliminate constipation and sluggishness:
- Juice two lemons.
- Stir in 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp turmeric, a pinch of cayenne pepper, and raw honey to taste (optional).
- Pour into ice cube tray or 5-6 silicone muffin cups. Freeze.
- In the morning, heat a mug of water. Pop in one “morning tonic” cube, stir, drink, and feel alive!