The hardest thing about Paleo baking is the use of strange nut, seed, and root-based flours. These random (and somewhat obscure) ingredients can seem intimidating to people who are interested in gluten-free, grain-free baking but are not yet accustomed to it. If you’re already on the gluten-free, grain-free bandwagon and have grain-free flours coming out of your ears, do your friends a favor and create this sweet D.I.Y. holiday gift: Paleo brownie mix in a jar!
This Paleo brownie mix takes the guess work out of Paleo baking and it’s an AWESOME from-the-heart gift for anyone who’s intrigued by the idea of healthy, gluten-free eating. I promise: anyone on your gift list will enjoy these brownies. They taste just like “regular” brownies despite being gluten, dairy, and grain-free!
It’s easy to make several jars of this mix.
Each recipe below makes one jar of Paleo brownie mix (i.e. for ONE gift). Gather the ingredients and make multiple batches for multiple gifts!
Just think: friends, family, teacher gift, hostess gift, secret Santa gift, white elephant gift (you know, the kind of white elephant gift that’s actually GOOD and not goofy? I always thought white elephants were supposed to be cheap and goofy — something no one would actually want — but after attending several events where others are giving awesome gifts and I’m the one giving a lump of coal and a can of Spam, I think I might be wrong)…
The following recipe is for peppermint brownies, which is a fun addition to the Paleo brownie mix.
Peppermint brownies are DELICIOUS, and if you provide your gift recipient with a bottle of certified pure, therapeutic grade peppermint essential oil along with the jar of brownie mix, he/she will get the added bonus of an entire bottle of peppermint oil to use even AFTER the brownies are gone. You can see which brand I recommend here. Peppermint is one of the most useful essential oils: it’s energizing, it helps clear congestion, it provides great headache and muscle tension relief, it can ease stomach upset and nausea, and it’s a wonderful flavor enhancer for water (again, be sure to choose an oil that’s certified pure, therapeutic grade, and suitable for ingestion).
If you want to skip the peppermint addition, that’s cool! Just leave it out of the instructions.
Paleo Brownie Mix
Recipe makes ONE quart-sized (or slightly smaller) jar, for one gift.
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder (I use Vitacost brand raw cacao powder)
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tsp coconut flour (sift, if needed, to remove lumps)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
Instructions for one jar of Paleo brownie mix (i.e. this is what YOU — the gift giver — will do):
- In a large bowl (with pour spout), mix sugars, cocoa/cacao, flours, starch, baking soda, and salt. Use a whisk or fork to break up any lumps, stirring until completely combined.
- Pour mixture into quart-sized (or slightly smaller) glass jar with lid. Top with mini chocolate chips. It’s okay if the chocolate chips get shaken into (or otherwise incorporated into) the brownie mix… They just look pretty when they’re on top. It’s all about presentation! 😉
- Screw on lid. Decorate and label as desired.
- Be sure to add an instruction sheet or card with the directions as follows. Gift recipient will only have to come up with eggs and coconut oil or butter… Not too much to ask, I’m sure!
Instructions to provide to gift recipient (print/write this out and attach to jar of brownie mix along with a bottle of certified pure, therapeutic grade peppermint essential oil):
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease, spray, or line (with parchment paper) a 9×9″ or 8×8″ baking pan.
- Pour brownie mix into mixing bowl. (NOTE: if you want, you can let the recipient know that it’s OKAY for the chocolate chips to be mixed in with the rest of the brownie mix).
- Add 4 eggs and 1/4 cup melted coconut oil *or* melted organic butter, plus 5 drops peppermint essential oil (essential oil included, eggs and oil/butter NOT included).
- Mix with electric mixer (or by hand for a great arm workout) until it comes together. Batter will be thick. Add up to 1.5 Tbsp water for ease of mixing ONLY IF NEEDED.
- Turn batter into prepared pan. Smooth top. Bake for 20-25 minutes until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool, cut into squares, and enjoy! Best served with a scoop of ice cream (dairy or non-dairy). 🙂
- Store leftovers in fridge or freezer.
I suggest writing the above steps in a holiday card, on a recipe card, or on a large gift tag.
As seen in the photo below, I used a folded 5×7 blank notecard that I hole-punched in the corner. If desired, you can also list the brownie mix ingredients on the back of the recipe/instruction card… This is particularly kind (!) and helpful if you’re giving a gift to someone with food allergies or sensitivities. As a person with food sensitivities of my own, I will ONLY eat food that has the ingredients listed. I need to know what I’m eating so that I know whether or not it’s “safe” for my particular needs!
Enjoy this simple D.I.Y. gift idea… And don’t forget to make a jar full of Paleo brownie mix for YOURSELF, while you’re at it!
Interested in essential oils?
Want to learn how to use safe and gentle natural supplements?
Want to FEEL BETTER after the holidays?
Crave healthy recipes, fun fitness, and EXPERT SUPPORT?