Anyone else get a major chocolate craving around 10AM each and every day? I can’t be the only one… I know it’s a signal that my cortisol levels are dropping, causing my brain and body to crave a hit of energy (i.e. caffeine + sugar)… It’s a NEED, I tell you! A NEED!
Rather than busting open a chocolate bar that’s full of refined sugar, I’ve been making these mocha superfood squares and eating them mid-morning every day. Not only are they surprisingly satisfying, they give me amazing side-benefits as well:
- Protein from the collagen that’s found in the gelatin
- Healing and sealing of my gut lining (also from the collagen)
- Hair, skin, and joint health (again… the collagen!)
- Antioxidants and essential minerals from the unsweetened cocoa powder and the (optional) Mighty Maca Greens
- Healthy fats from the coconut oil
- Minerals and trace elements from the pure maple syrup or raw honey (raw honey is also enzyme-rich)
Full disclosure: My hubby won’t touch these because he just can’t get past the texture… They’re cold and chewy/gummy, like firm Jello “jigglers.” But I think they’re fab, and heck — if he won’t eat ’em, that’s good. More for me.
Satisfy your mid-morning cravings with:
Mocha Superfood Squares
Makes 20-25 small squares.
Inspired by Real Food RN’s Healthy Hot Chocolate Squares.
- 1/2 cup *cold* non-dairy milk (I use almond milk)
- 1/4 cup gelatin (I am a huge fan of Vital Proteins Pasture-Raised Beef Gelatin)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (or raw cacao powder)
- Optional: 2 tsp Maca powder *or* 1 scoop (i.e. 1 serving, or 3.4 grams) Mighty Maca Greens powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or raw honey
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup *very hot* (boiling, or nearly-boiling) water
- 1/2 cup brewed organic, fair-trade coffee or Rasa
Lightly grease a 9″ x 9″ square pan.
Add cold non-dairy milk to your blender, and sprinkle gelatin on top. Let it “bloom” (i.e. let it gel) for 3-4 minutes, while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
Start heating your hot water. To the blender (on top of the “blooming” gelatin), add cocoa/cacao powder, Mighty Maca powder (optional), salt, coconut oil, syrup/honey, and vanilla.
Add coffee and *very hot* water to blender. Start on low, and then increase speed to high and blend for 45 seconds.
Pour into lightly greased pan. Refrigerate until firm, about 3-4 hours. Cut into small squares, and enjoy 1-2 squares every time your chocolate craving strikes!
They also make an excellent vehicle for transporting nut butter + banana… 😉