It’s Girl Scout Cookie season!!! My son was so excited to get his first box of Thin Mint cookies this year, and honestly, even though I can’t eat them due to dietary restrictions, I was excited to buy him a box! They’re a classic, and something everyone should try at least once. But then I got jealous. I thought, “I want one.” And so I set to work making paleo thin mint cookies (gluten free, dairy free, grain free, refined sugar free) that would meet my needs and still taste awesome.
With the help of a good friend who collaborated on this project with me, I can say: I succeeded. These paleo thin mint cookies will rock your world. Make a batch today!
Paleo Thin Mint Cookies (no-bake, GF, DF, SF)
Paleo thin mint cookie dough:
- 2 Tbsp smooth, creamy almond butter (try my blanched almond butter recipe)
- 2 scoops of your favorite chocolate protein powder (I use Chocolate Warrior Blend vegan protein powder which is also grain-free)
- pinch of sea salt
- enough nondairy milk to reach consistency of a thick cookie dough (I used almond milk for this recipe, and added approximately 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp. Don’t add too much! Dough should be THICK.)
- 3 drops certified pure therapeutic-grade (i.e. safe to be ingested) peppermint essential oil
Mix all ingredients until completely combined and the consistency of a very thick cookie dough. Scoop out a heaping 1/2 tsp and roll it into a very small ball. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Continue this process until all dough is used. This should make 16-20 tiny dough balls.
Gently flatten the dough balls with the palm of your hand, then place the cookie sheet in the freezer. Let flattened cookie dough discs freeze for at least 30 minutes (until hard). Meanwhile, make chocolate coating.
Chocolate coating for paleo thin mint cookies:
- 1 Tbsp smooth, creamy almond butter (try my blanched almond butter recipe)
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (or raw cacao) powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 1-2 drops certified pure therapeutic-grade (i.e. safe to be ingested) peppermint essential oil
In a microwave-safe (not plastic!!!) bowl, combine all ingredients EXCEPT peppermint essential oil. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir gently to combine, and microwave for another 15-20 seconds (as needed) to fully melt and incorporate all ingredients. Stir until completely smooth (no lumps!!!) and then add peppermint EO. Start with 1 drop, stir to combine, and add another drop only if desired.
Note: if you do not want to use a microwave, you can also stir everything together over a very low heat in a small saucepan on the stovetop. Add peppermint EO last.
Now let’s dip!
Remove frozen cookies from the freezer. Dip in chocolate coating. Return each chocolate-coated cookie to the parchment lined baking sheet. If desired, sprinkle with cocoa nibs or a tiny pinch of kosher salt, but hurry, because the chocolate coating starts to harden on contact with the cold/frozen cookies. Freeze chocolate-coated cookies for 30 minutes, or until completely set.
Enjoy your Paleo Thin Mint Cookies IMMEDIATELY (try not to eat the entire batch in one sitting). Particularly excellent with a cold glass of non-dairy milk. Store leftovers in a tightly sealed container in the freezer!